Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sewing Question

Recently I have been on a sewing kick.  I guess I was inspired by Tony's cousin, Shannon Y., who recently opened an Etsy shop (click here) full of cute dresses and skirts for the toddler/young kid crowd.  My sister Megann has also given me lots of great ideas for sewing the last few months.  Anyway, I feel that I have been pretty successful at making simple things like Tag blankets (see example here...these aren't mine though) and customized burp cloths (see example here) (I actually got this idea from Shannon V. who gave me some fabulous burp cloths when J was born).  So I guess my success had to run out sometime.  I decided to try to make this super cute skirt for my niece Marley in the hopes that it would turn out beautifully and that I could then move on to making a couple for my nieces Ava and Brooklyn (Lisa, don't tell them, I would like to surprise them).  
Once I had the skirt put together and was trying to feed the elastic through the waist casing, it was abundantly clear that it was not going to work out as I had hoped.  The biggest thing is that the circumference of the skirt was much too large for a 12-month old size skirt.  I couldn't get the elastic to make it around the skirt.  Yikes! 

So my questions for all you seamstresses are:

Did I make the circumference too big by not following the instructions correctly?
 I measured just like it said and cut on the fold...

Are the instructions just really bizarre?....almost 72 inches around for a toddlers skirt.

Anyway, I ended up chopping circumference of the skirt in half and making a less fabric-y (is that a word?) skirt.  In the end, I still think it is a super cute skirt, just not as twirly as I had hoped.  I will post some pictures later, but I am baffled by this skirt.

Here are the pictures as promised


Here is the final skirt after the removal of the excess fabric.
And...here is all the excess fabric.  Like I said, YIKES!


4 comments:

Megann said...

I think it is cute either way. That paisley is really cute I love it.

Lisa said...

I obviously can't help you with that, but I think the finished product looks great! Nice work.
I need to learn how to sew someday.

Shannon said...

I'm totally flattered that I inspired you! Especially since NOT ONE person has bought anything off my etsy sight.... oh well! Thanks Anita. I'm new at sewing, but 72 inches does seem like way too much fabric. Some patterns are meant to have a tightly gathered waist. You did a great job fixing it and making it adorable. Cute choice of fabric btw!

tiananny said...

I would tell you that as a general rule of thumb that more that double the fabric vs. the waist measurement of he person you are making the skirt for is the maximum that you would be able to comfortably wear. You made a really cute skirt and did a good job making the adjustments.
Shannon V can maybe explain to you who I am. I pulled your question off her blog because any sewing items automatically catches my eye.
Good luck in your future projects.