Monday, August 31, 2009

Skills

The other night I put Jacob to bed and left the room. A few minutes later I heard him call, “Mama!”. I didn’t really think too much about going and checking on him because he always calls for me after I put him to bed. A few minutes later, he called for me again and I decided to go to his room and check on him. Much to my surprise, he was straddling the crib railing and, of course, was very proud of himself. I put him back in his bed and told him to lay down, but he immediately repeated the trick. Needless to say, the next day we took off the crib railing and replaced it with the toddler rail.

The first night in his new bed he seemed to go down fine, but quickly realized he could get out of his bed. After putting him back in his bed 10 times, Tony finally just closed his bedroom door. We thought we were safe because he didn’t know how to open doors yet. We heard him playing in his room, but he went to sleep without any problems. The next day he figured out how to open doors. Luckily he has been really good going to bed and hasn’t come out of his room.

It is really weird to have him able to get out of his bed by himself. On Saturday morning, Tony and I were still laying in bed when Jacob got up and silently walked down the hall. I just caught a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye and it really freaked me out until I realized it was just Jacob. This is going to take some getting used to!

3 comments:

Kendra said...

Those are some skills! Kenney somehow has never gained this skill to our advantage. When he won't stay in bed we just banish him to the crib...
I know mean. It has now backfired on us though and he may be sleeping in the crib until little Norah has outgrown it. She stills sleeps in the pack and play...

Lisa said...

My mom told me about this. I remember the first time Owen showed up at my bed in the middle of the night and tapped me on the shoulder. That was not something we were used to at the time and it freaked me out to see him there!
Give him a hug for us. We miss you guys!

Shannon said...

Wow! Such independence. That's a good thing. Jacob is really cute.